top of page

Get to know Turkey

Updated: Aug 20, 2023

Facts about Turkey we're sure will surprise you!

  • 3% of Turkey lies in Europe, whereas the remaining 97% lies in Asia.

  • A population of 73,722,988 with 73 million mobile phone users.

  • Average age of population : 28.5

  • The mysterious cats of the Eastern city of Van have 1 green and 1 blue eye.

  • 62% of male Turks over the age of 25 wear a moustache of some description but 68% of women aged between 16 and 40 think the moustache is unattractive.

  • You might find chicken in your dessert! The signature Ottoman treat is tavuk göğüsü, or chicken breast pudding. It’s a strange blend of boiled chicken, milk, and sugar, dusted with cinnamon. And it’s delicious. Look for it on menus across the country.

  • Ataturk secularised the Turkish legal system by adopting a Swiss Civil Code and an Italian Criminal Law.

  • No Turk had a surname before Ataturks reforms in 1923-1924.

  • St.Nicholas (Santa Claus) was born in Patara and was a bishop in Myra (Demre).

  • Istanbul has a 540-year-old bazaar or covered shopping mall with 64 streets, 4000 shops, 22 entrances and 25,000 workers: The Grand Bazaar.

  • Turks gave the Dutch their famous tulips when they were first introduced to Europe by the Ottomans and quickly became all the rage over there.

  • Turkey is a member of the NATO since 1952 and an ally of the USA.

  • The word Turquoise dates to the 17th century and is derived from the French turquois for "Turkish" because the mineral was first brought to Europe through Turkey

  • Oil wrestling is the national sport

  • A new type of plant is discovered every 10 days!

  • Turkish airlines flies to 260 destinations around the world, making it one of the most accessible countries in the world!

  • Istanbul is the only city in the world located on two continents, Europe and Asia.

  • Catalhoyuk is known as one of the earliest settlements in the Neolithic Age.

  • Two of the world's seven wonders are located in Turkey; Temple of Artemis, Halicarnassus Mausoleum.

  • Virgin Mary in Selcuk, is a very popular pilgrimage site for Christians.

  • Delicious reputation of the Turkish Coffee spread all around Europe in the 17th century.

  • The word Turquoise comes from Turk, meaning Turkish, and was derived from the perfect blue of the Mediterranean Sea on the southern Turkish coast.

  • The world's greatest mosaic museum is Zeugma and second greatest mosaic museum is Antakya in Turkey.

  • The most valuable silk carpet in the world is in the Mevlana Museum in Turkey.

  • Church of St.Peter is widely considered to be one of the earliest Christian houses of worship.

  • Anatolia is the birthplace of many historical figures such as Phrygian King Midas, Herodotus and St.Paul.

  • Yoghurt is one of the healthiest foods in existence and is derived from the original Turkish Yoghurt.

  • St.Nicholas was born in Patara and served as the Bishop of Myra on the Mediterranean coast of Turkey.

  • Mugla has the longest coast in Turkey, streching from Bodrum to Fethiye and beyond.

  • According to the Legend of Great Flood told in both the Quran and the Old Testament, Noah's Ark landed on Mount Agri in eastern Anatolia.

  • The seven churches mentioned in the Book of Revelation; Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamon, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea are all found in Turkey.

  • Troy where the Trojan wars recounted in Iliad by Homeros of Smyrna were fought is situated in a small village Tevfikiye of Canakkale in western Turkey.

  • One of the first most accurate world maps were drawn by the well known Turkish cartographer and navigator Piri Reis in 1513.

  • Sanliurfa is known to be the City of the Prophets where Prophet Abraham, Prophet Job, Prophet Elijah and Prophet Jacob lived.

  • Gobeklitepe Temple complex in southeast Turkey, is the oldest ancient temple built by mankind anywhere in the world.

  • Kayseri derives its name from Augustus Caesar, when it was called Caesaris.

  • The first coinage in human history began in Anatolia.

  • 300 years ago somebody flew from Galata Tower in Istanbul.

  • Turkey is one of the world's largest yacht manufacturers.

Mind blown?!?! Now it's time for you to come find out your own random facts and visit Turkey this Summer. See our Dates & Fares page for all the . info on how to get on board

97 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page